- Competition opens: 6 September 2022
- Competition closes: 6 December 2022 16:00
- Funding Type: Fellowship
- Total Fund: £100,000,000
This scheme is for early career researchers and innovators who are either:
- looking to establish or transition to independence
- developing their own original and ambitious plans within a commercial setting.
We are offering funding to support ambitious research or innovation programmes across UKRI’s remit.
You must be based at, and have the support of, an eligible academic or non-academic institution.
There is no minimum or maximum award value.
Your project can last for up to four years, with the option to apply to renew for a further three years.
This scheme is for early career researchers and innovators who are transitioning to or establishing independence, or who may be developing their own original and ambitious plans within a commercial setting.
You do not need to hold a PhD and there are no eligibility rules based on the number of years since your PhD. However, if you do not hold a PhD, you must be able to demonstrate equivalent research or innovation experience or training.
There are no eligibility rules based on whether you currently hold a permanent or open-ended academic position or job role.
To assess and justify your suitability, go to the ‘additional info’ section and read the person specification annex in either the:
- guidance for academic-hosted applicants
- guidance for non-academic-hosted applicants.
UKRI cannot confirm eligibility prior to submission.
The fellowship offers flexibility to support outstanding individuals:
- from diverse career backgrounds
- returning from a career break or returning to research or innovation following time in other roles
- wishing to work part-time or in job shares in order to combine the fellowship with personal responsibilities
- coming to the UK from abroad. Researchers and innovators are eligible for a Global Talent visa under the ‘exceptional promise’ category for future research leaders. They must have the support of their host organisation.